ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Freezing live motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaiah McNeillFreezing live motion
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:00:52 am

So I've been working on this film and I want to know if there are any techniques to freeze time…yet the camera still moves within the frozen world. I've seen it done in a few movies, and I can't think of any at the moment but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas to how this could be done…maybe with after affects?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Freezing live motion
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 1:48:22 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 5, 2014 at 1:49:51 am

It's known as "Bullet Time" -- think of the Matrix movies.

The technique involves using a boatload of cameras set up the way a single camera to move, and then taking one frame of the instant you want to freeze from each of the cameras. It takes a little planning to set up the shot.

I've seen it faked using AE... but not very well at all. Considering how little a GoPro goes for, you could do it for real.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Freezing live motion
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:18:19 pm

If you don't want to do it with cameras (although renting a bunch may be affordable), here's how you would do it:

The first video gets into the tutorial towards the end. The second video is an example of a bunch of cool ones.

Basically, a lot of cutting out, cloning, and using a puppet tool to fake motion.

You can also create displacement maps like this:

But that can only be taken so far before it breaks down. If you want to travel a long distance, I'm afraid you'll need the cameras like Dave said.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved