ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cineware and Shadows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby YarsulikCineware and Shadows
by on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:09:04 pm

So I have a C4D project that I have open in my after effects project. It's basically a rolling coin that rolls onto the scene then spins and lands flat. I need to render the coin only, but also the shadows only as well. I've been searching all morning it seems like, I've tried the "shadow catcher plugin", which when I do that method, and go back into after effects, it just makes my whole c4d project layer black (minus the coin), and I can't see my footage. What do I need to do to achieve this?

Return to posts index

Bobby YarsulikRe: Cineware and Shadows
by on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:49:25 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to make sure that the question was clear.

So I've got a scene that I used 3d Camera Tracker with, and export the data into a C4D file. I've added the rolling coin in Cinema 4D lite, and going back and forth between C4d and AE, I can see the coin I've added and it's rolling animation. Great!

However, I'm not sure how to do a "Shadow Catching" object in C4D that renders invisible but still will show the shadows in AE.

Thanks again for any tips or helpful info!

Return to posts index

Bobby YarsulikRe: Cineware and Shadows
by on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:35:02 pm

Is this question completely stumping people, or am I not explaining it well enough? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to find a solution. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Ryan WalkerRe: Cineware and Shadows
by on Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43:55 pm

Hey Bobby,

I usually render out separate passes for something like this.

You could do an object buffer on your coin to get the coin separated from the background.

Then in your mutlipass settings, add a shadow pass to put the shadows back into your scene. Set this to multiply.

This way, you will have your coin, and your shadows, as separate layers in after effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved