ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Live update

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan CarrLive update
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:55:34 pm

Hello. I have two composition viewer windows open. One shows the main comp. One shows the comp nested in the main comp. The nested comp contains Element X". I see "Element X" in both composition viewer windows.

When I drag "Element X" in the nested comp, it updates live as I'm dragging. But the main comp doesn't update "Element X" live. It waits until I release the mouse to update.

Is there a way to have both comps update live as I drag "Element X"?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Live update
by on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:41:07 am

[Dan Carr] "Is there a way to have both comps update live as I drag "Element X"?"

Nope! The active comp will always be rendered first, then the second comp - the lag you experience is something you have to live with. You may want to look at soloing only pertinent layers when working with such a Workspace.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Dan CarrRe: Live update
by on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:44:44 am

I appreciate your time, and your succinct answer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:39:58 pm

Dan, I should add that what you have alluded to; opening two related comps, side-by-side is a feature officially/commonly referred to as ETLAT (edit this, look at that). Also, Live Update has been removed from AE CC. In AE CC, the UI is driven natively by OpenGL - this is sufficiently fast without requiring the Live Update function. There is also redundancy for the Live Update feature in Fast Previews.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Dan CarrRe: Live update
by on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:06:01 pm

Thank you for this information. I still get confused by the myriad processing/preview options in AE CC. I don't see any mention of "Live Update" when I click the "Fast Previews" button below the comp window. I do see that "Live Update" is checked in the drop-down menu at the top-right of my timeline window.

Please don't feel obliged to clarify any of this, though. You've already been very helpful. I'm a grown-up, and should probably take some responsibility for doing my own reading. But damn, I read the guides, and I'm still confused. Then again, I'm very old...

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:13:57 pm

Good that you pointed out that Live Update still exists. I actually thought that it was removed entirely. And I agree that the number of preview options is quite staggering. I find them useful when working on either a basic Timeline or when the Timeline gets heavy. For basic stuff, set Fast Previews to Final or Adaptive. For heavy timelines, I alternate between Final, Adaptive and Fast Draft.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]