ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fractal Noise Pixel Reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben StrattonFractal Noise Pixel Reveal
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:03:34 pm

Hi there, first post here. I usually spend enough time searching for tutorials and browsing forums that I don't have to ask for any advice, but frankly i'm stumped. I'm sure that sleep deprivation has alot to do with my frustrations at this point.

A client would like a simple slideshow video done but they want a rather unique transition to reveal text and new images. They linked the following video because they would like the exact effect:

I've tried using fractal noise with linear wipes to no avail. I can't seem to get that nice gradient look or the smooth reveal to the next layer.

Ever lose your sunglasses to find them on top of your head? I feel like this is happening to me right now.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Fractal Noise Pixel Reveal
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:27:29 pm

Hi Ben -

What you're looking for is a Gradient Wipe - it's in the Transitions panel of AE. It essentially takes the greyscale values of your gradient, and makes them transition from light to dark, or dark to light, with a few other settings thrown in:

Set up your noise, making sure that there's a nice mix of light and dark greyscale values, and making sure that they more or less transition from top to bottom, or bottom to top in terms of their grey values. If you can't get noise to give you this, you can quickly create a linear gradient in Photoshop, then chop that up into squares and randomize it a bit (yes, by hand), and use that as your greyscale map for the Gradient Wipe.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Ben StrattonRe: Fractal Noise Pixel Reveal
by on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:18:27 am

I ended up taking a power nap and realizing how simple this turned out to be when waking up. It's simply a Ramp with Mosaic applied and a Gradient wipe to reveal it.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved