ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slight mis-timing issues with nested comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg SageSlight mis-timing issues with nested comps
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:19:17 pm

Pulling out a lot of hair here. I've triple checked that every comp in the project has the boxes for preserve nested frame rate and resolution checked.

I've triple checked within each comp that everything is aligned exactly to the beginning of the comp, so nothing is slid forward or back, but rather trimmed to the position I want it to begin.

Still, I when I place my cursor on the timeline, then double click on one of the nested comps, I'll get a drift of a frame or two. Sure enough, upon checking, things aren't quite alligned correctly, and to get nested comp to make a switch at the same moment as in the larger comp, I have to MIS-align it by a frame or two according to the timeline.

Not sure what else I should be looking at here, but this is causing hundreds of little issues all over the place, and timing is everything since it's rapid-fire music video.

What else should I be checking?

Notes if they are helpful: I don't always have the collapse transformations button pressed since it sometimes causes other issues, and I'm using 29.97 frame rate if that might be culprit.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Slight mis-timing issues with nested comps
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:25:03 pm

I'd start by double-checking frame rates of EVERYTHING. An unintended frame rate mismatch can be the easiest thing to overlook.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Slight mis-timing issues with nested comps
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 9:04:29 pm

Haven't had a chance to check every bit yet, but after a quick look around, that appears to have been it. I must have a setting somewhere that allowed some comps to be created at 29.97, and others at 30 as I was setting things up.

Fixing individual comps now, and will dig through project settings and prefs when finished.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Slight mis-timing issues with nested comps
by on Feb 28, 2014 at 10:00:37 am

Could it have to do with mulltiple instances of that comp?
I know that sometimes I have been confused about jumping in and out of comps, ending up in other "places" than I expected, because (I suppose) Ae takes the timecode from another instance of that comp. ..but that usually happens when jumping back to the root comp.

What about time stretching?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved