ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

copy paste comp - unlink text layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dum Dumcopy paste comp - unlink text layer
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:01:35 am

i've been copy pasting certain comps within one main composition to save time. all i need to change for each comp is the text overlay. unfortunately, when I do copy paste it appears that the texts layers are still linked. hence when i change the text in comp1 it automatically changes the text layer in copied comp2 as well - pretty much the opposite of what I intended for it to do. Any chance i can 'unlink' comp1 and 2 and the text layers within those comps after copying them?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: copy paste comp - unlink text layer
by on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55:19 pm

Don't copy and paste the precomps from within the comp, you are just making an exact duplicate---just like if you copied/pasted a video layer within your comp---it's just a duplicate linked back to a single source.

Find the precomp containing the text in the project window and "cntl+d" to make a duplicate of it(at this point I would rename that duplicate). Now drag that into your final composition, and you can open it up and make the text changes you need.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved