ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Use Effects to Duplicate Layer Within Itself?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Demian KrentzUse Effects to Duplicate Layer Within Itself?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 7:04:28 pm
Last Edited By Demian Krentz on Feb 25, 2014 at 7:05:03 pm

I have three layers:

Title A
Copy of Title A
Background

Both text layers identical layer styles applied and have their transfer mode set to Multiply. To get the look I want, I need to duplicate the text layer so that it "doubles up the density" so to speak so that the multiply factor is more intense.

Is there a way to achieve the same effect without Copy of Text A? Is there a way to duplicate a layer within itself? Some sort of Channel Combiner or Arithmetic operation? I'd like to avoid needing to deal with two text layers for each title. I know I can link attributes, parent, etc., but that's even more work for each title.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Use Effects to Duplicate Layer Within Itself?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:12:45 pm

Check out the CC Composite effect. Using the Add blending mode within that effect should do what you want, if I'm understanding you correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Demian KrentzRe: Use Effects to Duplicate Layer Within Itself?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:27:43 pm

Yes, I tried that at first. No dice. I apply it, switch the mode within to Add (or any other mode), and nothing changes. It's like I'm not applying that effect at all.

But it doesn't seem like the correct effect anyway, yes? I'm not trying to combine the effect with the layer, I'm trying to duplicate the layer within itself. Almost like precomposing two copies of the same layer within one layer, but without actually precomposing (and not needing a second layer to act as a reference).

I know I'm missing something here...

Return to posts index

by on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:34:15 pm

The CC Composite effect has exactly that result: combining the layer with itself. Show me a screenshot of your Timeline panel and Effect Controls panel where you're trying this. I just gave it a shot, and it worked fine for me; using Add within the CC Composite effect gave the result that I thought that you were asking for.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:39:54 pm

I have a feeling that it doesn't work with layer styles?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:07:19 am

Ah. That is a crucial detail.

Layer styles are applied last in the render order, since they are an extension of blending modes. So, no, this effect will not accomplish what you want if you are also using layer styles.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:16:02 am

I suppose I should have worded it better (and used proper grammar) in my original post. Thanks anyway for trying. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:35:03 am

Precompose, and then use the CC Composite effect on the precomposition layer.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Use Effects to Duplicate Layer Within Itself?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:17:00 pm

You don't have to deal with two separate layers if you parent the layers and then parent the source text. Then if you update the parent text, the child text will update as well.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

by on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:25:02 pm
Last Edited By Demian Krentz on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:28:20 pm

No, I understand that. I'm trying to avoid needing a second text layer entirely.

Edit: And thanks anyway. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]