ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ignore thumbs.db?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemierignore thumbs.db?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:07:13 pm

Windows makes a stupid thumbs.db file every time you have a folder with at least one image in it. If you want to ever see thumbnails of the images, this is necessary. I have certain folders, like textures, that those come in handy. Other folders like an animation sequence, it's just an annoyance.

Here's the problem: In a folder who's images are named mouseAnim_[####].png the thumbs.db file is last and AfterEffects imports the folder correctly. If the images in the folder are named TreeFalling_[####].png, thumbs.db comes first and AfterEffects will not import the folder. Instead, you have to go Ctrl+I, (or add alt for multiples) and select the first image of each sequence instead of just grabbing all the folders and dragging them onto the folder you want them imported to.

Does anyone know a way to get AfterEffects to just ignore any file named thumbs.db? It seems like Adobe should have just programmed that in. And if they were smart, created a file allowing you to add more rules. Well, maybe they are smart and I just haven't found it yet. Please tell me I just haven't found it yet.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: ignore thumbs.db?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:01:12 pm

Andy -

Here's a solution that will shut off the thumbs.db cache:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: ignore thumbs.db?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:22:12 pm

That will work. I found a similar solution when searching at home, but it didn't work. It was doing a similar action in the registry, but the article must have been old because the entry didn't exist. This looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
At home I was trying to go through old music files and there are tons of duplicates at different qualities and names, so...not Really duplicates. Every time you access a folder it creates thumbs if there was album artwork, then I couldn't move/delete the folder. Hopefully this will solve that issue as well.

There are a couple other useful tweaks in that policy setting as well. That's a great find. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved