ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion tracking very dark footage with no obvious track points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Townley
Motion tracking very dark footage with no obvious track points
on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:23:05 pm

Hey guys,

I have had a little bit of experience with motion tracking and stabalisation in After Effects and have usually managed success eventually, however I am a bit stumped as to the procedure to tracking this shot. I have attempted to use the singular spot of blood at the bottom of his shirt and the spots on the knife as track points but they just don't seem to stick even though there is little movement in the shot, I presume because because the footage is too dark? I have also attempted this is in Mocha however I do not do have the update compatible with RED footage. Any suggestions on the best way to track this shot would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Motion tracking very dark footage with no obvious track points
on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:36:17 am

You should have included snapshots of your tracking spline and your tracking parameters in mocha.

With respect to the footage, the lack of light should not be an issue. However, you do want to provide mocha with as much information as possible. When starting off with less-than-ideal footage, you should look at enhancing its inherent quality to make the footage more tracking-friendly. To this extent, create a version of this footage specifically for tracking by enhancing the lighting and contrast. Use the standard color grading tools for this task. Then render out the footage for later use in mocha.

When you're done tracking, apply the tracking data to the original footage.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Alex Townley
on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:57:15 am

Thanks for the response. I was not able to use Mocha as this is RED footage and I don't have the latest update for it. Was just wondering if anyone could decipher a decent tracking point from the image as AE motion track keep slipping after a few frames. However I have since discovered that tracking points work well if you use a contrast of colour inside your track point. Therefore I have used the very corner of the knife blade on the left side where the colouring is black on red and has seemed to have worked quite well!

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Feb 25, 2014 at 6:07:20 pm

mocha AE bundled with After Effects CC supports Red. If you are not running AE CC, you can upgrade to mocha AE v3 for $195 here:
https://webshop.imagineersystems.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&cat...

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Feb 25, 2014 at 6:37:46 pm

You can always render your R3D out into another format to use in Mocha. As long as you keep the frame size the same you could track a TIF or JPEG sequence and then apply the tracking data to your R3D.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]