ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How much do these really affect rendering time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando RiveraHow much do these really affect rendering time?
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:21:05 pm

To lower the render time of a project, I usually try to optimize footage and images, pre-render effects, etc.

I have no idea if the following things affect the rendering at all. I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

Time remap
- Let's say I have a 1 min. composition.
- Inside that composition I have a 30 sec. video.
- I want to pause the beginning and end of the video with time remap (showing the first and last frame respectively).
- Let's say it's a 15 sec. pause, then the 30 sec. video, then another 15 sec. pause.
- How much does time remap add to the render time? Would it be better to put a still image (jpg, png) of the first and last frames of the video?

Video clips playing out of view
- There's a 1080p composition
- Inside that composition, there's another one, "2160p" or double the height.
- There's 2 1080p video clips constantly playing, one on top of the other.
- A camera zooms to show only the top video, them moves to show only the bottom video.
- Will AE constantly render both videos? even if one is out of view? or will it ignore the one you can't see, only rendering both of them at the same time, during the camera movement from top to bottom.

Video Looping
- There's a 1 min. composition.
- Inside there's a 10 sec. video clip.
- You want to loop the 10 sec. video to fill the whole minute.
- You could use the expression loop_out("cycle",0) and time remap.
- Or you could use the "interpret footage" option on the Project panel and loop it from there.
- Which one would render faster? does one needs more processing power than the other? (e.g. time remapping)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How much do these really affect rendering time?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:00:57 am

Fortunately, these are minor speed tweaks you're making. Even if you blow them all off, you're not going to take any big render time hits.

On the time remapping, stills WOULD be a bit faster... but it it's a right royal pain to prerender the stills, I wouldn't worry too much: you might spend more time prerendering than rendering the time remap. Your call on that one.

On the 2160p comp, you could play it REALLY safe from a rendering standpoint by trimming the in & out points of the footage when they're not seen in the main comp.

And for the looping, I'd use the interpret footage settings; that way, AE doesn't have to keep evaluating an expression, even though it's a dead-simple expression.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fernando RiveraRe: How much do these really affect rendering time?
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:11:47 pm

Thank you Dave, that clarifies a lot.

I was having trouble with one project, something simple with no heavy effects, but it was taking really long to render on a powerful machine (60+ hours).

Just wanted to verify if these weren't the reason.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved