ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenAdvice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:18:44 pm

Hello, I'm about to start a project that involves filming business people walking and carrying flag poles on a green screen and then I need to create flags to attach to the end of the poles and make them look like they're blowing in the wind.

I'd like some advice on the best way to achieve this and have a few questions.

Can I create a blowing flag effect directly in AE and attach it the pole or should the flag be created in C4D and brought into AE as footage?

How could I combat that if rotation is needed to attach the flag to the pole the direction of the wind stays the same?

Any advice on how to make it look as realistic as possible whilst keeping the process as simple as possible would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Music Videos, Motion Graphics, Creative Multimedia, Video Production, VFX and Graphic Design by Splurj Creative Multimedia

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:18:05 pm

I've had good luck with Zaxwerks 3D Flag:
http://www.zaxwerks.com/3dflag/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:31:32 pm

Looks great.

Would that give me the ability to motion track the flag movement to my footage do you think?

Music Videos, Motion Graphics, Creative Multimedia, Video Production, VFX and Graphic Design by Splurj Creative Multimedia

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:50:38 pm

You'll never gonna make it realistic unless you use a cloth simulator (rotations will look way off since they will pivot the whole flag from the base).

Its easy once you get things going (there are a few caveats if you never worked with cloth before) But essentially you import the footage into c4d, create a cylinder and attach a plane/cloth (with belt) to it. Go every 10 or so frames forward and reposition the cylinder at your subjects hand/pole (you can track it, but sometimes it moves so fast that something slightly off won't be noticed, so I did it by hand). Simulate cloth after you have it all positioned.

you can see the footage I worked on here

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:45:33 pm

That looks fantastic. Did you have a tutorial that helped you create this? That would be a great help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Advice on creating blowing flags attached to poles carried by people
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:12:13 pm

Unfortunatly no, I just did it with what I knew.

But you can search for flag tutorials for c4d, there are a bunch. From there is just an animated pole and a few tweaks to the parameters.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]