ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Experience using Deadline network render manager with AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John RygielskiExperience using Deadline network render manager with AE?
by on Feb 22, 2014 at 4:25:04 pm

My fiancé is going to start working from home part of the week. She's used to sending off AE jobs to other computers for rendering so she can keep working, so I need to replicate that kind of environment for her at home, and that will involve a small render farm (or maybe single beefy slave) and a render manager. I'm looking at Deadline since it's also compatible with the 3D app I use (MODO).

She works with 2K RED files as a keyer/tracker/final comper. As I understand it, outputting movies from a render farm doesn't work directly. It will output her comps as an image sequence, correct? I don't know how they handle that at her studio. Does anyone have experience with this workflow who could shed some light on it for me?

Return to posts index

Doug LyonsRe: Experience using Deadline network render manager with AE?
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 6:18:16 pm

Hey John, Did you ever get any feedback on setting up a small render farm at home? I'm in a similar situation with a small company I work with and am trying to do the same thing - set up maybe 2 or 3 stand-alone honking fast machines to help with our load. Our projects are mostly AE with few companies handle and rarely large enough to send off to Hollywood or Europe for massive rendering. Plus we like being able to quickly make changes, since our clients are often fickle and deadlines often move closer when we least expect it. Thanks!

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

John RygielskiRe: Experience using Deadline network render manager with AE?
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 10:02:41 pm

No, I didn't get any feedback, but I just read the documentation and figured it out myself. I have Deadline set to process each render sequence on one machine at a time, and not split it up. Sometimes it just one dedicated Mac Pro in the render group, and other times she adds her workstation to the group and it will pick up the next sequence in the queue. The biggest thing I had to get thru my head was that I needed to use a root volume for all shared directories, including the repository. The Thinkbox support team was also helpful and responsive when I hit a couple issues (at that time, AE CC 2014 wasn't supported yet).

Return to posts index

Doug LyonsRe: Experience using Deadline network render manager with AE?
by on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:37:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. What is the "repository" to which you refer? I am planning to have all computers in the farm refer to the same plugins and fonts and have the same paths to the source clips and resulting renders.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]