ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Grain effect in after effects or photoshop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GarskeGrain effect in after effects or photoshop?
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:52:00 pm

I know I've scene an effect to create this sort of grain but I can't place which it is. Does anyone have an idea of what to use to achieve this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Grain effect in after effects or photoshop?
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:01:14 pm

There are quite a few ways to do that, but it'll be tough to give a good answer without knowing what you're trying to accomplish.

For example, if you want those dice to tumble, you use one method. If you want the grain to change over time, it's a different method.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: Grain effect in after effects or photoshop?
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:28:53 pm

I've animated a model in Element 3D using Newton 2 gravity so that the dice tumble into that relative position. Then I animated the rotation of the dice in Element and positioned a camera to get the exact framing. I used time remap to slow the animation down into a freeze frame and want the grain to build up slowly as the animation slows. The layer I'll be applying the grain to is a rendered Quicktime file with an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Grain effect in after effects or photoshop?
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:08:46 pm

I'd almost try with fractal noise, on a very small scale, and then play with blending modes to get the right effect. The good thing with fractal noise is that you can change scale and evolution as you like.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]