ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Orphaned comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John ConningOrphaned comps
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:35:49 pm

In the project window you have a comp that you are not sure is being used somewhere on a timeline and you want to delete it. If you right click on the comp in the project window and "REVEAL IN COMPOSITION" is greyed out in the drop down menu, does that definitely mean that the comp is not used on any timeline in the project?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Orphaned comps
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:49:29 pm

[John Conning] "In the project window you have a comp that you are not sure is being used somewhere on a timeline and you want to delete it. If you right click on the comp in the project window and "REVEAL IN COMPOSITION" is greyed out in the drop down menu, does that definitely mean that the comp is not used on any timeline in the project?"

You can simply click on a comp in the project panel, and look right next to the thumbnail. If it is in use, it will say "Comp 1, used x time(s)." If it is not in use, it will just say "Comp 1."

This does NOT take expression references into account. If any expressions refer to the comp or something within the comp, that is not reflected in the comp window or in "Reveal in composition."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Orphaned comps
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:49:55 pm

I believe so.

Return to posts index

John ConningRe: Orphaned comps
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 6:11:30 pm