ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Autotrace and Rotoscoping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgina BourkeAutotrace and Rotoscoping
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 12:50:42 pm

I'm fairly new to After Effects, working on CS6, on a Mac OS X.

I'm currently rotoscoping an item of clothing on a walking figure for 5 seconds, I would like to be able to manipulate just that item of clothing e.g. make it darker or change the colour. I thought that using rotoscoping would make this easier to do. I've gone through each frame, defining the rotoscoping area and have tried to use the auto trace function to transform it into masks that I can play around with. However autotrace has only rendered movement for the first 7 frames. After which it stops recording the movement and I am left with a single static mask. How can I get autotrace to record the entire rotoscoping area so that I can directly edit the item of clothing throughout the 5 seconds of movement?

I hope this makes sense and I would be so grateful for any advice offered

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Autotrace and Rotoscoping
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:36:58 pm

For the rotobrush to work, work through the entire video, and extend the rotobrush work area. Finally you need to "freeze" the roto.

The rotobrush is really cool, but it's a little different than a lot of AE, effects, check out this tutorial to get a feel for the entire workflow: AfterEffects CS5: RotoBrush

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved