ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tile Carousel scrolling

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie ShoardTile Carousel scrolling
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:42:42 pm

Hi there,

I've been working in C4D recently to create a mockup of a interactive application that lets you scroll through various carousels of tiles. It was super easy to mockup in Cinema through use of effectors attached to a camera. They basically push the surrounding carousels out of the way, whilst bringing the focused carousel forward on the Z axis. So all i need to do to simulate using the application is move the camera about.

However i now need to recreate this in AE, so that i can produce some high fidelity mockups, and just make my workflow easier when moving away from wire-frames.

I'm very new to expressions, and am doing my best at learning the language, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to recreate this without key-framing every single movement, which would be extremely tedious. I figure that i just need to make it so that whichever carousel is in the center of the screen is forward on the Z axis, whilst the two surrounding ones are pushed away.

Ideally I'd like to have a control layer with a slider that references each carousel, bringing it to the center, allowing me to scroll through with just the slider. At the moment i just have a slider that if the layer index = slider, then Z equals the higher value. But all this does is snap into place, with no transition depending on if its in the center.

Any advice on how to achieve this would be incredible, or just thoughts on the most efficient way to build such a system.

I've attached a couple of videos, one showing how it looks to the camera, then a second showing exactly whats going on in terms of the structure.

I hope this makes sense, I'm even worse at explaining things than my expressions knowledge!

Scrolling video

Camera movement

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Tile Carousel scrolling
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:37:09 pm

If you move the layers, you shouldn't have to move the camera - less work. You should also search the forum with the keyword "carousel". And search the COW's AE Expression Forum.

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved