ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Out of memory error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon DoughtieOut of memory error
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:02:13 pm

One of my folks is getting an "Out of memory: requesting 1k 23: 40" error message working in After Effects.

It's not a particularly involved comp.

Win 7 Enterprise (8 core)
1.5GB RAM reserved for other apps
plenty of hard disc space

Recent change: Installed Red Giant Free Quicklooks. It is being used in the project.

I know memory is low. I had him move the project from his desktop to one of our regular systems with Adobe AE CC and 32GB RAM; the error persists.

Corrupted project file?? The error first appeared when he added a text layer and was typing. An issue with the Red Giant plugin?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Out of memory error
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:34:00 pm

If you suspect the plugin, you can try this: duplicate the project, confirm that the problem also exists in the duplicate, then remove the instances where the plugin is applied in it. If the problem goes away, you've isolated it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Out of memory error
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:57:27 pm

Removing the Red Giant Quicklooks made no difference.

It appears we have isolated it to one layer with a PSD file. When that layer is switched off, the error disappears. Switched on, the error promptly reappears.

We have tried flattening the PSD to a PNG, also tried reducing size. No change. There's nothing unusual about the file. It has transparency, it is set for and RGB/8bit colorspace.

We are just stumped.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Out of memory error
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:01:21 pm

The layer has three effects on it, including the puppet tool. As soon as puppet tool is switched off, the issue disappears. So the puppet work will be discarded and redone.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Out of memory error
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:33:18 pm

Jon, thanks for posting back with the solution! I wish everyone were as conscientious as you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved