ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

render - Workflow question.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Burberyrender - Workflow question.
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:47:46 pm

I've got what is probably a very basic question, but im unsure of the best workflow.

I recently recorded a presentation at an event our company held the only problem is the PowerPoint the presenters used is virtually invisible - so as an easy fix I have overlayed their original slides onto the video. as well as doing some basic colour correcting inside after effects.

the presentation itself is only around 45mins long but when i try to render the footage out im looking at render times of around 50hours.

I feel like im doing something fundamentally wrong and that there should be a better workflow around this. Any help would be great

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: render - Workflow question.
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:16:12 pm

What are you system specs, what kind of footage are you using, and what are your render settings?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: render - Workflow question.
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:50:06 am

Sounds like a job more suited for Premiere Pro.

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: render - Workflow question.
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:39:02 am

It's quite easy in AE to hit a 10-100X render speed. I did a presentation show that was around 3 mins that took 4 hours to render. Even straight in / out renders of material can take a hit. With 45 mins of material you're easily talking hours. It really depends on your comp and system specs. As someone noticed, these kind of things will render faster in an NLE, given you might not have the same level of "finesse" there.

Still if you want to work in AE is recommend:
- 8-bit rendering
- Avoid motion blur where possible
- Avoid filters where possible
- Prepare footage where possible

For example, scaling down all elements to their proper size, doing color correction and other finesse work in Photoshop before importing them to AE can save you X-times of rendering time.

Also, avoiding filters across the whole timeline will save a lot of time.

What FPS are you rendering in? This can also be a huge time-saver going 24-25 fps vs 30 fps or more.

Return to posts index

Mark BurberyRe: render - Workflow question.
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:12:37 am

thanks i thought it may be a job for première but haven't used it in years so was sticking with what i was comfortable with.

I will pre-render the slide show in after effects which "shouldn't" take too long then overlay that footage within premiere thanks for all the replies. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved