ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects masking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lilli TranAfter Effects masking
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:36:14 pm

I am very new to After Effects so I don't know how to explain this clearly using the right terms, but here it goes...

I would like to animate a group of shapes which are PNGS (with transparencies) moving across the screen. However, I would only like for these shapes to be visible in a specific area. I want these shapes to only be seen when it passes through a circular viewpoint. I understand that I need to use a mask for this, but I was only able to do so if my background is a solid color or a set image. My bg currently consists of many complicated layers of jpegs. So in other words, I would like to know how to make a mask but the outside of the masks are transparent.

Thank you in advance. I apologize if my explanation is confusing.

Return to posts index

Lilli TranRe: After Effects masking
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:51:07 pm

UPDATE
So I just did some Googling and discovered the Alpha track matte. It is just what I want except it seems to only work on text or shapes draw in After Effects. Doesn't seem to work on PNGs :(

Return to posts index

Mark BurberyRe: After Effects masking
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:03:14 pm

i dont believe it should matter however you can always try this.

select all your jpgs hit ctrl+shift+c to create a pre comp then use the trkmat on that precomp.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:09:46 am

Yay, this works!! Thank you so much!! :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects masking
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:59:57 am

Track Mattes work on all visual layers. Mark has given you one solution. Another option is to create a solid layer at the top of your Timeline and create a mask where the PNGs should appear within. Then set this layer's Blending Mode to Stencil Alpha.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Juan MarinRe: After Effects masking
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:22:16 am

Create a white solid layer (comp sized), then create a mask inside the solid (you can specifically apply any form...for a cirular shape just change to the elliptical marquee tool and double click it with the solid layer selected).

Finally, change the transfer mode to silhouette luminance. At this point I REALLY THINK you should change the mask mode to substract (it's in add by default).

This process will give you a great result because you can always change your mask in the future, just by changing it's form or animating it during the whole comp.

Starting in Pro Video - Musician (@LaVesper - http://www.lavesper.net)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:11:14 am

Thank you very much for the help!! Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Mark BurberyRe: After Effects masking
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:59:50 pm

1. create a new shape layer (a circle where you want the png's to show)

2. place that layer ontop of your png layer

3. set the trkMat setting to alpha

if you cant see the trkmat options right click on the timeline bar go to columns then make sure modes is ticked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]