ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene StroccoCan't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:08:41 pm

Hi all,

Working on a project where I need to reference one of my ideas. I've seen several commercials that use this technique, but of course when I need to reference it, I can't think of it. Any help?

It's basically where you see someone walking, getting a coffee, etc…but as they walk, there are several different people that 'pop' into place seemingly on a frame-by-frame basis, so that the commercial is trying to apply to everyone, and not just a specific actor. It's like they shot 20-40 people walking the same pace and footsteps, and then just edit in and cycle each person in frame by frame. Bascially a stop motion editing effect but like they green screened the people, because the live action environment is at normal speed. Very cool effect…have seen it around a lot…but for the life of me can't think of the brand.

Anyone?

Thanks so much!!
-Gene.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Can't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 2:55:42 pm

It sounds to me as if you want to find out how to shoot the main talent in realtime, then shoot the background action timelapse, then composite the two? Here's a short on how one person did it, not very well produced, but the explanation is good:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gene StroccoRe: Can't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:57:07 pm

Joseph,

Actually what I'm seeking is almost the opposite. The live action environment would be shot in real time (no time-lapse or stop-motion), and then the main talent would be shot stop motion (or edited like it) so that the main talent would actually change into different people on a seemingly frame-by-frame basis.

I think the talent would need to be shot against green screen doing something (walking, picking up something, etc). Each talent would need to do the exact same action, and then we could edit the different talent footage, cycling through the different people, to create a stop-motion 'popping' effect as the composited talent walks through the scene, etc.

Make sense?

I know I've seen it...just can't think of the commercial now.

Return to posts index

Gary SwingRe: Can't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:32:37 pm

Is this the spot you're thinking of?

Return to posts index

Gene StroccoRe: Can't find a commercial reference for a style effect…any ideas?
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:16:47 pm

Gary,

Getting closer! Almost there...but instead of the environment changing, it would be the main talent cycling through several different people walking the same path, pace, etc.

Really appreciate you thinking about this!

Gene.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]