ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Object removal in moving video (use Clone Stamp or Roto Brush?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garrison AsthmaObject removal in moving video (use Clone Stamp or Roto Brush?)
by on Feb 15, 2014 at 7:24:40 pm

I've been having a really difficult time trying to remove objects from moving clips. I'm attempting to remove the head off of the right most statue, but cannot find an effective way to do this... When I use the clone stamp, it tracks, but I cannot get it to blend in realistically, seeing as the color of the sky changes as the clip pans right. I also tried using a cut out image of the sky and tracked that, but that failed to blend as well...

If anyone has any suggestions for this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I have this same issue with a couple other clips as well.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Object removal in moving video (use Clone Stamp or Roto Brush?)
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 3:37:18 am

mochaPro's Remove Module should work well for this. It can handle the tracking, masking and luminance shifts well.

If you only have AE or mocha AE then you should be able to at least complete the tracking and masking bits. Hmmm, you may also get away with extracting a Luma Matte (as per conventional Sky Replacement technique) of the sky and inserting a new sky to solve that issue. This will also allow you to place a nicer-looking sky footage.

On the Q regarding the Clone Tool and Rotobrush, I'm not certain which is better. Rotobrush has a built-in tracking algorithm while the Clone Tool has source and target position props which can be attached to motion tracked points. In short, both are viable; with no strong indication, from my POV, which should be preferred for your specific task/footage.

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved