ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Copilot solid alpha channel- Should be an easy one

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elsie StarbrookVideo Copilot solid alpha channel- Should be an easy one
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 10:16:23 pm

Hey all! I've been using Video Copilot plugin for the first time and right away I've found an issue- It's hiding up my footage behind it! I'm quite a newbie to AFX and I figure it's an alpha channel issue. Can anyone tell me how to make my lens flare solid transparent so I can see the background but still have the lens flare showing?

I hope that's clear! Thank you all!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Video Copilot solid alpha channel- Should be an easy one
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 12:11:04 am

Generally the best way to achieve the most realistic result is to put the layer with the flare on it in Add mode. It adds the value of the brighter pixels in the flare to the background layer, making for a better look than just making it keyable.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Video Copilot solid alpha channel- Should be an easy one
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:02:47 am

You need to change the Render mode from "On Black" to "On Transparent".

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Video Copilot solid alpha channel- Should be an easy one
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:12:05 pm

If you watch the tutorials that come with the plug-in, it will explain things like this and a bunch of other important things. There are several ways to achieve what you are looking for, including what Joseph and John said, but Andrew Kramer actually recommends changing the transfer mode to screen instead of add because the lens flares were actually designed to be used that way and the falloff will look a little more natural. Of course, you should do whatever gets the best result, so play around with the different ways of doing it to get what you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]