ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

velocity question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Flemingvelocity question
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:16:11 pm

Hello AE Community,

Here's what I hope is a very simple question about the velocity of keyframes in AE. I was sent an animation that contained graphics that would slide onscreen to a certain keyframe, but then overshoot and recoil slightly. I have attached a screenshot with an arrow pointing to the slight "dogleg" in the velocity curve where the overshoot/recoil takes place.

My simple question is: What in the nature of the keyframe causes this behavior? I can't duplicate the effect by simply adjusting beziers in the graph editor, adding ease ins or even by copying the values from the keyframe velocity dialog for the "influence." What causes this overshoot/recoil behavior?

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

Matt DavisRe: velocity question
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:29:51 pm

Hi Dave.

How many frames does this "dogleg" take to happen? Looks like...2 or 3?

Any chance there's an expression added to the position?

Great screen grab by the way, answered 90% of my initial questions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: velocity question
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:30:57 pm

It's the motion path that's giving you fits. It's not the velocity curve. Magnify the comp window, and look at the INCOMING keyframe. I bet the Bezier handle needs to be readjusted.

If this animation is intended to animate, then pasuse while remaining rock-solid where it is, then start up again, copy the incoming keyframe you just tweaked. Paste it further down the timeline. Go back to the original incoming keyframe, highlight it, right-click and apply Toggle Hold Keyframe. Then go to the copied keyframe, highlight it, right-click, and mess with the settings so it's linear. Now you can continue the animation, and go back to that keyframe and mess with Easy Ease Out, or shatever you want to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave FlemingRe: velocity question
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:39:14 pm

Matt, Dave,

Thanks for the responses! Dave nailed it - it was the motion path on the incoming keyframe that had been adjusted that was causing the overshoot/recoil look. I had wasted a fair bit of time poking around the timeline and playing with the keyframes there.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved