ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RED Epic Importer + AE CS5.5 in OS X Mavericks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek MinerRED Epic Importer + AE CS5.5 in OS X Mavericks
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 3:18:00 pm

I am administering one of the new Mac Pro cylinders for a design team to test. This team depends on Adobe's RED Epic Importer to import RED camera footage directly to After Effects. This works perfectly fine on non-administrator accounts on 2012 Mac Pros running 10.7 Lion, but when set up under Mavericks on this new Mac Pro, RED files are only accessible to the administrator account.

I'm not sure how much of this problem has to do with being a component that gets placed directly inside the package contents of the After Effects application. I worked for a whole afternoon trying to figure out what the right permissions needed to be and how to set them correctly (including logging in as the Root user and changing them). Even after being pretty sure I had permissions matching the other components inside the package, I would log into the user account and see the RED Importer files had a size of zero bytes. I eventually got the file size to show by copying the files with the corrected permissions to a shared drive and then re-installing them under the user account and authenticating as the admin. Even after this, After Effects did not recognize R3D RED files in the user account, only the administrator.

After applying the 10.5.1 patch to After Effects, R3D files are no longer greyed out in the File Import dialog, however if I attempt to open the files, I get an unsupported format error.

I keep wondering if there is some other component the system is depending on that HASN'T had permissions updated to work correctly. Adobe seemed stumped and was not very helpful (admittedly, we are trying to make 2011 software work with a plugin that hasn't been updated since 2012), and even so, it does seem more like an OS permissions problem.

Until budgets get approved and spending gets scheduled through the year, we won't be able to get CS6 for the designers, so I'm hoping I can find some way to make this work in the meantime.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

= Derek Miner =

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved