ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Moving a mask with 2 movie clips (punching my clone)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh FearyMoving a mask with 2 movie clips (punching my clone)
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:09:37 pm

So I am very new to after effects and i wanted to make a video of me, punching my clone in the face (2 different takes obviously). I have in the past "cloned myself" by just filming 2 shots, masking one half out of one shot and making sure i was in the specific halves during filming so i didnt have any overlap of the two shots. But for punching myself, one shot has to reach over the half way point so therefore, making a mask down the middle does not work because the hand disappears when i go for the punch. How can i animate or move the mask so it follows my hand when i go for the punch? (there is overlap between the two shots, as in they both have a bit of time in the same spot, but they are never go behind one another or anything) For the end result, i want to be able to have it look like its one shot, and i punch my cloned self.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Moving a mask with 2 movie clips (punching my clone)
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 3:20:44 pm

Not too difficult, but it takes some time. What you need to do is called rotoscoping. You can google it, but the simple definition is that you mask out an object. For this, create the mask like you normally do, but make the line as close to the clone getting punched without going over any of him at any point. Then, where ever your punching clone goes over that line, just create a mask for that part of him. So, if just his arm crosses, create a tight, detailed mask around his arm and manually animate it for each frame as long as it it over the line. Make sure you turn motion blur on and you may need to feather the mask a little. Your punching clone footage is the only one that needs the masks, just set them both to add and make sure the layer is above the other one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved