ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Name of this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward StantonName of this effect?
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 4:09:00 pm

Hello creative cow community,
I need your assistance.

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to create a specific effect I've seen done quite a few times, but don't know what keywords to search for...

Here's an example of the effect:

It's that kind of "jittery" animation, tracing/outlining.
I can already 2d/3d motion track no problem, but is it expressions you use to make the lines "jittery"?
Are the lines created in aftereffects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Name of this effect?
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:17:57 pm

If you search this forum you will find a lot of techniques for making wiggly lines. Off the top of my head, use shape layers to create the lines and add a "wiggle paths" animator. Also the effect "roughen edges" can be used to create that look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Name of this effect?
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:49:17 pm

It's also possible that all those were just drawn on every frame. It would take a while, but not too difficult.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Name of this effect?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:49:31 am

There's no one button push type of plugin for this one. You have a few options of doing it already. It will involve some roto work ( drawing the shapes and possibly tracking to match the moves) and a combination of wiggle and roughen edges. I prefer the hand drawn direction though, for a more random, organic feel, even if it takes a longer time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Edward StantonRe: Name of this effect?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:14:02 pm

Many thanks for your replies everybody!
I will look into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved