ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon WaitmanSeeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:08:44 pm

Hey, I just got a new system and would really like to hear from the pros as far as ways to optimize it for working in AE (CS6).

Dell Precision T7610
2 processors (16 cores, 32 when hyperthreaded)
Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro K5000
64 GB RAM
OS is on an SSD

There's so much I don't know about the technical side of video producing and animation. I would def like suggestions on how much RAM to dedicate to AE (I mainly use AE, Premiere, Fireworks and Photoshop).

Also, is hyper-threading a good thing for CS6? Etc... Like I said, there is so much I don't know, that I don't even know the right questions to ask and I would really appreciate any wisdom you have.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:25:48 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:59:54 pm

Yes Hyperthreading works fine with CS6 and is good to have. Make sure those CPU's are the E5 V2 models and not the V1's. Don't get the Quadro unless you need 10bit color preview. It will not help you in AE much at all and Geforce card is far better for Premiere's MPE performance wise. I would suggest 128GB of ram with that many threads. 64GB is low to support that many threads especially if the frame sizes are over 1080. The SSD drive is ideal.

Revision -
Sorry just realized you already have it. Set the multiprocessing enabled and set the ram to 1.5GB per thread. It's up to you whether you leave a few CPU threads for other applications. I would also enable the multiprocessing for Ram preview. The AE Cache should be fine at 20GB on the OS SSD. Beyond that you should be fine.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Lon WaitmanRe: Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:10:04 am

Thanks, Eric. (And yes, the processors are v2) And I have enabled AE Cache for my SSD drive (AE help suggests a drive other than the one my footage is on. Steve Forde, in the Adobe video, says it should be neither on the footage drive or the OS drive -- but I only have one SSD drive and it is the OS drive, so I hope it still works OK)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:09:45 am

Thanks, Eric. (And yes, the processors are v2) And I have enabled AE Cache for my SSD drive (AE help suggests a drive other than the one my footage is on. Steve Forde, in the Adobe video, says it should be neither on the footage drive or the OS drive -- but I only have one SSD drive and it is the OS drive, so I hope it still works OK)

PS: I have found a way to add my Nvidia K5000 card to the CUDA list (for Premiere) and to the Raytrace list for AE. But I cannot find a way to make it work with opengl. Is there some way to add this card to some sort of list or .txt file to make it work?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:18:07 am

> I have found a way to add my Nvidia K5000 card to the CUDA list (for Premiere) and to the Raytrace list for AE. But I cannot find a way to make it work with opengl. Is there some way to add this card to some sort of list or .txt file to make it work?

I'm not sure what you are expecting or seeing. Show us a screenshot of your GPU Information dialog box in After Effects.

What are you trying to do, exactly?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:27:30 am
Last Edited By Lon Waitman on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:31:46 am

i saw a video tutorial where it showed (under the fast preview button), the ability to choose or un-choose opengl. but all i see is this...

oh - and here is the gpu info window...

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:52:00 am

> i saw a video tutorial where it showed (under the fast preview button),

You are watching out-of-date video tutorials.

From your screenshot, everything is working fine. There is nothing that you need to do.

This page explains how OpenGL is used:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:31:03 am

Thanks, Todd. I guess I just thought that with all my processing power and a good card and 64 GB of RAM, that AE would render previews faster than it presently does for me.

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:34:35 pm

SSD's Latency is so low the OS drive can easily handle the OS processes and the AE cache. AE already uses the Windows Variable cache directory for some caching anyway. The consideration here is the firmware on the SSD drives cannot always keep up with the garbage collection over time if you constantly write files and delete. Eventually the SSD drive slows down and the only way to reset it is wipe it. If you don't put other files on the OS besides Programs and the AE cache though you shouldn't run into that. Make sure the Media Cache is not there though.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:56:09 pm

thanks, eric! i really appreciate it!!

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Seeking suggestions on optimizing my new system for AE...
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:36:23 pm

Leave it on default for now, except set up your Global Performance Cache to SSD. Then monitor your system during heavy use for CPU and memory utilization, and it'll tell you what (if anything) needs addressing.

Here are some links:
- How to Optimize After Effects CS6 for High Performance (video)
- After Effects Help - Improve performance, and especially, Improve performance using Global Performance Cache | CC, CS6
- FAQ: What are optimum memory settings for best performance in After Effects...

(all links - from Adobe)

Alex Gerulaitis
System Administrator, Video Ops / Digital Media
Disney / ABC TVG

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:24:47 am

Alex - very useful vids. Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44:43 pm

See this page for resources about making Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:45:37 am

Thank you, Todd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]