ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam WardLinear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:09:55 am

I'm stumped.

Having a new issue where I have imported a multi-layer Illustrator file (Mac AI CS 5.1) into after effects (Mac AE CS 5.5) as a multi-layered composition. This I seem to be having no issue with.

The issue arises when I try to apply the 'Linear Wipe' Effect to a layer. The wipe seems to be basing its completion on the entire width of my composition instead of just the contents of the layer. As a result, nothing happens in the first section of the transition, then the transition occurs in only a few frames (should be 1 second) and nothing happens in the end of the transition.

I have checked the layer in the footage viewer and it seems to be appearing as it should (only the image in the layer and not the image in the layer surrounded by blank space).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Liam Ward
---------
Freelance Cinematographer

Return to posts index

Liam WardRe: Linear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:20:01 am

UPDATE:

Linear Wipe only interprets the layer as full frame size when 'Continuously Rasterize' is enabled and works properly when disabled.

Any suggestions?

Liam Ward
---------

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Linear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:40:43 am
Last Edited By Ridley Walker on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:41:17 am

[Liam Ward] "I have checked the layer in the footage viewer and it seems to be appearing as it should (only the image in the layer and not the image in the layer surrounded by blank space)."

When you imported the Illustrator file as a Composition was Retain Layer Sizes selected?

Otherwise each layer is the same dimensions as the Composition.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:56:30 pm

Yes I was able to retain layer sizes. Seems directly linked to enabling 'continuously rasterize'.

I suspect I will end up having to animate a mask to reveal instead of using linear wipe. Which I was hoping to avoid as it is about 100 layers.

Thank you for your response.

Liam Ward
---------

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Linear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:54:50 pm

When one imports a layered Photoshop or Illustrator file and Retain Layer Sizes is selected, the layer boundaries in the Comp are the same as they are in the .psd or .ai file.

One can see this in the Comp panel when selecting a layer, the layer handles correspond to the layer width and height.

Linear wipe is then applied based on the layer dimensions and *not* the Composition dimensions.

To see this in action, view the following:

7121_lwipeaifiles.zip

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:57:54 pm

Hi Ridley,

Thanks for your response. I did have a little trouble with this on first import but was able to adjust the settings to the layers sizes working properly and not dealing with the the entire width and height.

Original:

Modified Settings:

It seems that this is only a problem when 'Continuously Rasterize' is enabled. If it is disabled, the edge wipe does work as I had hoped it would. Once I figured out this was related to enabling 'Continuously Rasterize' I was able to find some similar topics with other people having some workflow difficulties by enabling 'Continuously Rasterize'.

Thanks

Liam Ward
---------

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Linear Wipe Effect is basing itself on full layer
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:08:42 am

[Liam Ward] "Seems directly linked to enabling 'continuously rasterize'."

This is correct. Any layer with that switch enabled will behave the way you've described.

This is because, among other things, the switch changes the order of operations in the render pipeline. Instead of rendering effects before transforming the layer AE will transform the layer into composition space and then render the layer's effects.

You might notice if you apply a Blur to a continuously rasterized layer that the Blur will appear to be the same size no matter how much you scale the layer up or down. That's because the Blur radius is now measured in composition space rather than layer space.

When it comes to effects a continuously rasterized layer's bounds can effectively be considered the same as the composition's bounds.

Honestly I consider this more of a feature and less of a bug. It allows for a lot of really cool effects and is usually easy to work around once you're aware of it. Knowing how to selectively bend the AE render pipeline without breaking it is quite fun. I hope to do a tutorial one day ;)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]