ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Main Concept H.264 in Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Tak
Main Concept H.264 in Encoder
on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:25:25 pm
Last Edited By Glenn Tak on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:43:56 pm

Does anyone know if the Main Concept H.264 preset is available in AME? I want to utilize the Encoder to free up After Effects in my workflow but frankly none of the presets I have tried in Encoder give me as clean an image and as small a file as when I render directly out of AE using the (deprecated) H.264 Main Concept preset.

Just as an example. I have a 30 second spot. 1920x1080 29.97. I like to send versions to a client for approval via email so small file size is important.

If I use the AE Render with the Main Concept Preset my file is 11.1MB. 5.5 Minutes to render

Using Encoder with the Quicktime Preset the file is 81 MB with no real noticeable quality improvement. 9 minutes to render

The Apple TV 1080 preset gives me 15 mb which is acceptable but still not as good. 12 minutes to render.

So the clear winner is AE using Main concept. Smaller File Size, Faster render and for the purposes of Client approval no noticeable quality difference.

The only downside is it ties up AE during that time. Anyone have any thoughts? I have read that Main Concept is integrated into AME but I can't find it.

Thanks

T

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Main Concept H.264 in Encoder
on Feb 9, 2014 at 2:44:20 am

There is no clear winner because you have left out an integral coefficient for compressing moving imagery - Bitrate. You not seeing a discernible difference between two movies with final rendered sizes of 11.1MB and 81MB, can be attributed to the difficulty (or ease, in this case)involved in compressing the video, for the CODEC.

I suggest that you look at the bitrate settings of the two movies to have a more appreciable understanding of what's happening in the background.

Lastly, I can't be certain, but I believe that all versions of AME, hitherto, use the Main Concept H264 encoder.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Glenn Tak
on Feb 9, 2014 at 7:38:23 am

Thanks for the quick response. Yes… I did tests and tried to match all the settings from AE into a Custom Preset in AME including bit rate. Things did end up being closer in size but they still took a bit longer in AME to render out.

I hadn't realized the bitrate was so low in the AE preset considering the quality of the picture was so good. So I created a preset that works in AME and gives me a fair equivalent to the AE preset and I think I can live with the 10% increase in render time as long as I can get back to AE and work.

Thanks again

TAK

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:47:37 am

When importing an AE comp into AME, AME's workflow is a dual, sequential process. The comp is first rendered at high rez and then this high rez is compressed. Rendering directly from AE precludes the first process.

If you want to render from AE and continue to work, then look at this script - http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]