ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Driving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Levi PoundsDriving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 4:52:29 pm

Hi all. Disclaimer: I am relatively new to AE and have been using tutorials to learn over the past month or so.

I have just finished locking the picture edit for a TV pilot I am editing. It is not VFX heavy (single camera style comedy) but there is one driving green screen scene. 3 angles- a head on two shot through the windshield, and a profile shot of both actors.

My issue is with the head-on shot through the windshield. I managed to get a reasonably good key using the technique in this tutorial: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/advanced_soft_keying/

The problem is that the actor in the driver's seat is wearing glasses that produce a bar of green reflection which allows the background plate to show up over one of his eyes. Screen shot attached. A friend of mine suggested this could be fixed with a simple garbage matte. I'm really not sure how to execute this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Driving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 2:49:28 am

A garbage matte prior to keying will not do the job - all it'll do is prevent the green bar from being keyed. I assume that this is what you've done. Hence, the green bar on the glasses.

You have to do the following -
1) track the green bar
2) create a patch to cover the green bar
3) apply the tracking result onto the path in (2)

Good Luck
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Driving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:29:52 am

You can use a mask on the original footage to hold out the green section of the glasses. Then you can remove the green using your despill technique of choice.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Levi PoundsRe: Driving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:30:41 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Excuse my ignorance but when masking the original footage, do I use the pen tool to select the area I'd like to isolate? When I do this is seems make everything outside the mask black. Is this done with mutiple layers or is there a setting I should turn one.

Basically what I'm asking is how do I tell after effects "do not key this area".

Levi

Return to posts index

Levi PoundsRe: Driving green screen- green reflection in glasses causing an issue.
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:49:15 pm

So I used two layers with the mask on top. I used colour suppression on the top masked layer and that seems to have done it. There is still a reflection but it is not green.

Much better. Thanks both.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]