ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke OgdenWorkflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 1:44:58 pm

I'm trying to work out the workflow for a project I just finished shooting on the 1DC. I've transcoded the 4k files to ProRes 422 and also made ProRes LT 1080 proxies. The project includes a load of motion graphics tracked to the footage as well as some camera solves for 3D elements, I also have numerous sections where I need to zoom into the 4k footage. so my current proposed workflow would be this :

Cut in Premiere using the 4k ProRes->Create EDL of locked picture->Use 1080 proxies in AE for all VFX work->relink to the 4k masters for the final output.

Is this a viable option? Will the difference in proxy/master resolution wreak havoc with things like the tracking and camera solves?

27" iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.9.1 //
Adobe CC Suite

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:21:38 pm

[Luke Ogden] "Will the difference in proxy/master resolution wreak havoc with things like the tracking and camera solves?"

Indeed it will; many things are virtually guaranteed to be off once you do it for real with the 4K footage... so many that I wouldn't take the chance with that proposed workflow if it were my project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luke OgdenRe: Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Feb 10, 2014 at 4:21:55 pm

Thanks, good to know.

27" iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.9.1 //
Adobe CC Suite

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:22:11 am

I'm pretty sure you could set that up in a workable fashion. We hade a similar workflow a few years ago working with 3K RED plates that where killing system performance. I'll get back to you exactly how we set things up.

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:46:04 pm

You really need something with more CPU power than an Imac if 4K media that is no Pro Res is common. Until this Go take a look at Cineform and see if that helps your editing performance with that media. They have a free trial.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

chris kingRe: Workflow for 1DC 4k files in After Effects
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 5:28:28 am

Actually, the 4K video was restricted to edit in After Effects. Only the latest version Adobe After Effects CC can natively support 4K video like Sony's XAVC. The previous version After Effects CS4/CS5/CS6 has not yet been updated for 4K support. To import your 1DC 4k files in After Effects, you’d better convert the file format and downscale to 1080p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]