ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using clone stamp from a reference picture?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James RustleUsing clone stamp from a reference picture?
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:34:38 pm

Ok, first of all let me say sorry for the weak thread title but it was the best I could come up with :)

I'm new to After Effects and would like to get a firm grasp on it for the intended purposes. I'm not really doing a ton of editing or adding any effects, but I primarily (try to at least) edit videos by removing certain elements out of them completely, which is why the clone stamp tool is needed. Say the video is an animated clip, and there is a sign in the background, with text written on it. The text may be on a white background, or in the more difficult circumstances, it is overlaid on a background with a picture/pattern behind it. If I want to remove the text off of the sign and have it look natural, the clone stamp tool is necessary, especially for signs that would have a more complicated pattern rather than solid color background.

Does what I'm saying make any sense so far?

My problem is, I find After Effects to be less effective than Photoshop when it comes to image editing (no surprise of course). What I have done is take a frame from the video, load it into Photoshop, edit out what I need to edit out in PS, and now the one frame looks exactly how I want the several second clip to look like. The problem is, it's one frame, and editing just one frame can take up to 2 hours depending on the complexity of the work. There's no camera panning in the clips, so I don't need to worry about motion tracking, so is there some way to insert the edited picture to take the place of all of the frames in the video? Or to use the clone stamp on the picture I edited in Photoshop, and carry it over to be "stamped" onto the video frames loaded in AE directly?

I know this sounds confusing, I'm a little upset with myself for not being able to get my point across more clearly, but hopefully you guys get what I mean? Is this possible, or am I SOL? Appreciate any help, thank you!!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Using clone stamp from a reference picture?
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:15:31 am

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, all that you need to do is to put your cleaned-up image over the footage layer. You can draw a mask around the sign so that the sign is all that is overlaid. Of course, this only works if there really is no camera movement and nothing ever comes in front of the sign.

Start here to learn After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved