ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing bald spot shine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan BalchRemoving bald spot shine
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:47:13 pm

Hi All,
I've been searching on the COW for answer to this question but am coming up short.

I've got a talking head interview with a shiny spot on top of his head and I need to knock it down.

Tried using an adjustment layer, but I'm not as familiar with AE as I thought I was.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Alan Balch
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Removing bald spot shine
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:35:53 pm

You might be able to make a procedural matte using the shiny spot itself with a combination of animated masks and one of AE's keying effects. You'd use it as a nested comp. Then you can use the matte to isolate the shiny spot and tweak the levels on the footage or apply Color Finesse.

The danger: the shiny spot may be the brightest part of the image and it's blown-out. There would be no detail in that area, so you'd end up with the guy looking like he had a piece of flesh-colored plastic stuck to his head. Ugh.

Can you post a screen shot of the image so we can see what you're up against?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: moving bald spot shine
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:25:22 am

Also, with some masking as mentioned above I beilive the "Beauty Box" filter combats skin shine quite well / naturally. We've used it for numerous shots for so called "post makeup" where it works brilliantly (even on dogs! :)).

Return to posts index

Alan BalchRe: moving bald spot shine
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:09:52 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I beilive the "Beauty Box" filter combats skin shine quite well / naturally. We've used it for numerous shots for so called "post makeup" where it works brilliantly "

Thanks, Erik.

I'll give that a try. I also want to try using a Track Matte in PPro to see if I can put a dim on just the bright spot. Ever had any luck with something like that?

Alan Balch
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:29:17 pm

This is just a few minutes work in AE but here goes:

BEFORE

AFTER

In the above example I used Beauty Box on the image and created a matte to isolate the effect primarily on the highlights of his head. Maybe a little to aggressive but one would have to see how everything looks finally comped and with a grade on it to really appreciate the effect.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:31:22 pm

Hmm... tried to reply to this post but I think my answer is being moderated or some thing. We shall see if it appears soon.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:35:12 pm

This is just a few minutes work in AE but here goes:

In the above example I used Beauty Box on the image and created a matte to isolate the effect primarily on the highlights of his head. Maybe a little to aggressive but one would have to see how everything looks finally comped and with a grade on it to really appreciate the effect.

Return to posts index

Alan BalchRe: Removing bald spot shine
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:06:22 pm

Dave,
Thanks for your input. Here is a picture of what I'm working with.

I tried using the curves effect and found that 'plastic' look you mentioned to be pretty bad.

Alan Balch
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]