ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering Twice in h.264?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SullivanRendering Twice in h.264?
by on Feb 6, 2014 at 11:05:42 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but whenever I've had to google an issue or question in the past, this site is always the most helpful!

Basically, I'm working on a project in After Effects CS6, and I've had to render out a clip and import that clip again into after effects. Pre-composing caused issues with the time remap that seem too difficult and lengthy to even attempt to short out, so rendering it appears to be the smartest decision.

My question is, will rendering it twice (first time to import, second time for final project) make it lose quality? I'm rendering in h.264 format at 120 bitrate. When I switch layers between the rendered and the unrendered clip at the same point, you can only see an incredibly low drop of quality that makes no difference and is expected. Would rendering it again in this format have no effect since the quality is dropped, would it drop the quality the same amount, making is twice as noticeable, or would it somehow be worse?

Thank you for your time and any help you may be able to provide.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Rendering Twice in h.264?
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:27:15 am

It's really simple. If you want good quality stuff then stick to working with the highest quality files your storage can afford. For pre-renderss, stay away from H264 as its a good capture format for lower-end cameras and for final delivery - NOT GOOD for production/timeline work.

Try rendering to QuickTime ProRes, Animation, Uncompressed etc

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved