ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding comp to render queue with different layer settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Bigelow
Adding comp to render queue with different layer settings?
on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:35:15 pm

Hi Cows,

Is there a way I can add one composition to the render queue, duplicate that composition, but have different layer settings on each export?

For instance, I have a comp and I want to export a few times with different layers solo'ed. Currently, I have to export the comp one configuration at a time.

So lets say I solo layers 1-3, then add the comp to the render queue. Then I go back and solo layers 4-6, and add to render queue. If I export both comps, I will just get layers 4-6 because it uses the most recent settings.

A work around is duplicating the composition so it's sourcing from two different comps. But this gets complicated when there are nested precomps that also need to be solo'ed or changed.

Beyond soloing, this would also be useful for exporting a comp multiple times with different effects turned on and off etc.

As it stands now, I have to export one at a time. Defeating the usefulness of a "queue" and batch rendering efficiency.

Am I missing something?

Thanks so much!
Ben

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adding comp to render queue with different layer settings?
on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:55:49 pm

You'd do it by duplicating the original composition, making changes to the new one(s)and adding them to the Render Queue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:53:14 pm

there is a script that can aid in the duplication of a comp and nested comps, there is also a method of importing a project to do the versioning out. both are explained in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1047231

another option is to make the comp longer and define different sections to render in the render settings for each instance in the queue.

so, in your example, say your comp is 30 seocnds long. you'd double that to a minute, make layers 1-3 start at 0 and end at :30 (or one frame shy of :30), then layers 4-6 would start at :30 and go to the end of the comp.

you'd then send the comp to the render queue, click the render settings and define the 'time span' by clck the custom button and setting start to 0:00:00, and duration to 0:30:00. set the output module and output to as needed.

then command-shift-d (duplicate) that comp in the render queue and set the render settings to start at 0:30:00 and duration 0:30:00. the output module will be the same,so just click the output to and set a new file name.

now you'll have two items in the queue, hit render and it will output both.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:43:49 pm

Ah perfect, this duplicating script should work perfectly, thanks!

Would be great though if this were implemented in AE, so you could render a comp from the settings of a "snapshot" in time, the render it at the same time from a different snapshot. Working with versions is key to many workflows. And it starts to get a little sloppy having all these duplicated comps.

But this will work for now!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:27:16 pm

[Ben Bigelow] "Would be great though if this were implemented in AE, so you could render a comp from the settings of a "snapshot" in time, the render it at the same time from a different snapshot. Working with versions is key to many workflows. And it starts to get a little sloppy having all these duplicated comps."

Any sentence that contains "would be great if" should end with "so I filed a feature request [link]."

I agree that version control can be a challenge, but I don't clearly understand what it is that you want to see.

How do you see a render queue snapshot as being different than a duplicated comp?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:27:12 pm

Ben, I'm right there with you. For a show i do i have a template for lower thirds. I change the name and their title beneath on a second line. It would be great if you could send this to render queue, then just change the name and title for the next guest and send to the render queue (thinking, somehow, that all the previous settings have already been stored in the queue's memory), but alas, it always only renders out the last settings sent to the queue from that comp. yes, duplicating comps would work, and might be the best workaround, but does seem like added work and projects.

Walter, i have heeded your, "Any sentence that contains "would be great if" should end with "so I filed a feature request [link]," and bookmarked the request page. Already sent two in this morning. Thank you!

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]