ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Management - Media Encoder vs After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hannen
Color Management - Media Encoder vs After Effects?
on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:13:42 am

Hi,

I've been applying color management in After Effects using the following technique:
  • File\Project Settings – set colour space to Adobe RGB – this turns colour management on
  • Then when rendering, go to the colour management tab (in the dialog where you can set output type, ie. png seq) and render out using the colour space ‘HDTV REC709’.

This works really well. But I want to be able to batch render in the background, so I'd like to use Media Encoder for the renders.
But Media Encoder can't manage color directly. From an Adobe Forum:
There is no color management in Premiere Pro or the Adobe Media Encoder application.
You can use the Color Profile Converter effect to do the color space conversion that would normally be done by the output module in After Effects.
For example, you could create a new composition with nothing in it but an adjustment layer and a nested composition that is the composition that you want to output. Onto that adjustment layer, apply the Color Profile Converter effect and manually set up the color space conversion. Then send the new, containing composition to AME or Dynamic Link to Premiere Pro or whatever.

The advice above was given for Premiere... Is this the best way to do it in AE too? I.e. drop a Color Profile Converter onto your master comp before saving the project?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Color Management - Media Encoder vs After Effects?
on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:26:48 am

[Thomas Hannen] "The advice above was given for Premiere... Is this the best way to do it in AE too? I.e. drop a Color Profile Converter onto your master comp before saving the project?"

Yes.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
Re: Color Management - Media Encoder vs After Effects?
on Mar 8, 2014 at 8:22:32 pm

I'm just getting back into using AE seriously again after a long break. I'm loving the ability to use AME to render projects while I keep working but this lack of colour management in AME is seriously limiting. It feels like a massive oversight, and the precomp solution feels like a hack.

I've just made a feature request to get the color management features added to AME but for now it looks like I'm going back to background rendering

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]