ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

'Use All Proxies' option in Media Encoder CC?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Meredith'Use All Proxies' option in Media Encoder CC?
by on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:58:36 pm

I was originally going to post this in the AME forum, but I think this question is unique to After Effects CC users who are now making their h264 files in AME CC instead of After Effects.

I just upgraded to CC and I'm trying to change my workflow by rendering mp4s in Media Encoder -- per adobe's 'suggestion'.

I often use proxies in my comps, but occasionally my 'proxies' are actually my uncompressed files that I need for final render. In the past, I would go into Render Settings in the Render Queue and set Proxy Use to 'Use All Proxies'.

On a recent project, my client (working remotely) sent me h264 files to work with. When a comp is ready to render, he opens the AEP and links the h264 files to proxies that are local DNxHD files. He sets the render settings to Use All Proxies, and renders locally.

Now we are using AME for all of our renders, and I can't find a 'Proxy Use' setting anywhere. It seems like it's automatically set to the equivalent of "Current Settings' and renders proxies based on whether or not they are enabled in the AE Project window.

Not only is the Proxy Use setting missing from AME, but so is the Effects drop down, Solo Switches setting, Guide Layers setting, and Color Depth setting.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or know of a work-around? I know the current solution is to make sure all of the right boxes are checked in the project window, but this is not nearly as reliable as saying 'Use All Proxies' or 'Use No Proxies'.

Hope this sounds like English to some of you. Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Tim KurkoskiRe: 'Use All Proxies' option in Media Encoder CC?
by on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:27:49 pm

Justin, your observations are (mostly) correct. AME does not have access to the Render Settings available in the After Effects Render Queue. AME will render comps as they appear in the Composition viewer (but without color management applied, if enabled).

The fundamental difference here is that AME is getting frames from After Effects via the Dynamic Link protocol. Dynamic Link does not allow the client application (AME, in this case) access to the comp-level controls that affect how the frames are rendered. What you see in the comp viewer is what you get.

There is one exception here: you CAN control Guide Layers from AME. Right-click on the After Effects comp in AME's Queue panel and choose Source Settings. You'll get a control that allows you to define whether or not Guide Layers are rendered.

This is a problem we have put some thought into, and as the Guide Layers control shows we have put some initial effort into how it would work. But it's not as simple as replicating the entire Render Settings dialog in AME. Some controls, such as time span, already exist in other places in AME. Please submit a feature request that details what controls are most important to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved