ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Text Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brady Lovell
AE CS6 Text Effect
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:02:09 pm

Sorry for junking up the forum with a bunch of noob crap, but I'm pretty new to AE. I've got a pretty good understanding of the basics, but im in need of some help for a project I'm working on.

It's a pretty darn basic concept I would imagine. But I want to be able to take text, that's filled with a pattern, and extrude it in a 3D layer. For example....I enter text into photoshop. I double click the text layer and select "pattern overlay". The text layer is now overlayed with the pattern that I want. I import that text layer into AE, and click the 3D button. Twirl down the geometry options and there is no extrusion setting.

Does anyone know how to get the result I'm wanting? I don't see any "pattern overlay" options in AE.

Thanks for any help offered, and again, sorry for such a lame question.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: AE CS6 Text Effect
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:22:11 pm

There's no way to do it directly, but Chris and Trish Meyer tell you how it can be done:
http://provideocoalition.com/cmg_keyframes/story/layer_styles_in_after_effe...

You should also read any and all of their books on After Effects:

http://crishdesign.com/books/Creating-Motion-Graphics/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:51:04 pm

Ray Traced 3d doesn't render layer styles, so that won't work.

I've seen people get texture on 3d text in AE other ways though.

First, to get your texture on your text, create a large solid with the texture overlay that you want. The import that into after effects. Put that layer in a composition and create your text on top of it. Then under the track matte box, click Alpha Matte. Bam, texture on layer, great!

Now this gets a little trickier. There's a couple of ways to do this, but this is an old duplication trick.

1) Precompose your text.
2) Enable it to be 3d (use the classic 3d)
3) Put this expression into the position property of the text layer:

[value[0],value[1],value[2]+index]

4) Duplicate the text layer as many times as you want (it will become thicker with each duplication)
5) Parent all of the layers underneath the top layer to the top layer.
6) Now simply animate the top layer as you wish.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Brady Lovell
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:43:02 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I'm working on it now. Do I make the text 3d before I apply the Alpha Matte to it?

This is what I did and it's not working....(yet)

- New Composition 1920x1080
- Import image
- Create text layer
- select image and toggle switches
- select Alpha Matte

The text is now looking like the image

- select the text layer
- right click and choose pre-compose
- select the text layer + p = position
- alt+click stop watch
- enter copied expression
- select text layer + ctrl+D numerous times

Nothing happens.....not sure if I'm doing it right. But that's pretty much all of the steps that I did.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:48:07 pm

Sounds like you've done it correctly.

Make sure you've duplicated it enough times. Basically, all it is doing is moving a copy of the same thing back in space 1 pixel for every copy. I recommend making about 30-50 copies. Then parent all of them to the very first text layer. Then add a light (this will make the effect more obvious). Then just rotate the y axis of the first layer of text and you should see the extrusion.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Brady Lovell
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:12:15 pm

I've tried this method about 10 times now, and can't seem to get it to work. The text has to be in 3D for the expression to work, so I figured that out. So I am able to get the expression to go in right now, but I just tried duplicating the layer 50 times, parented them to the main pre-composed original text layer and put them underneath that layer. Added a camera, roatated and still a flat text layer. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:29:07 pm

I uploaded a project file with it working for you to see.

I did 2 versions. One with the texture throughout, and one with a black stroke instead of the texture (looks better to me). All you have to do to update the stroke color is to change the color of the text in "TextPrecomp 2"

7098_3dtext.aep.zip

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]