ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Should I avoid Mavericks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzieShould I avoid Mavericks?
by on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:54:25 pm

No real need to update my OS, but I wouldn't mind unless people are finding it creates problems with a mograph workflow. I use CS6, QT7 pro, all the usual stuff. Anyone having any dealbreaking issues?

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

Mountain Lion on SSD
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Should I avoid Mavericks?
by on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:16:38 pm
Last Edited By Ridley Walker on Feb 3, 2014 at 10:26:54 pm

One of the biggest changes in Mavericks is how QuickTime is managed. QuickLook only works a few formats, m4v and h.264 among others. Apple has changed the underlying code some QT files now show as 0k but are converted by QuickTime to play.

I upgraded to FCPX 10.1 which requires Mavericks, but have only done so on one laptop.

There have been a few hiccups but no show stoppers. I'm delaying upgrading my main production gear until at least one more point release.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Should I avoid Mavericks?
by on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:33:04 pm

We're seeing a smattering of reports of problems with various drivers and plug-ins, as well as the QuickTime changes that Ridley mentioned, but we're also seeing that a majority of users on Mac OS are using Mavericks, most with no problems. So, I'd say that you should check for each of the plug-ins and pieces of third-party hardware that you use, and go forward only if they all are updated for Mavericks.

The Adobe applications themselves should be fine. We had to issue an update for After Effects in the fall, but with that update everything is fine for CS6 and CC versions. The one notable exception that I know of is that Mavericks broke Motion Sketch, and we haven't gotten a fix out for that for After Effects CS6 yet.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved