ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CC Radial Blur - Banding even in 32 bpc

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipp ZakrzewskiCC Radial Blur - Banding even in 32 bpc
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:16:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a 'light at the end of the tunnel' sequence. All works fine so far; I've been using CC Radial Blur on an upscaling circular shape (using motion blur).

This being a gradient, there is obviously banding visible in 8Bit mode. However, even when switching to 32 bpc there is noticeable banding showing on the edges in After Effects.

Adding noise or another video source to 'disperse' the banding doesn't work. Any ideas how to remove this one?

Regarding my system, it's a 2013 iMac running the CS6 Master Collection on OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks a lot in advance

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CC Radial Blur - Banding even in 32 bpc
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:05:05 pm

How does the exported file look?

After Effects does dithering on output to deal with banding issues like this, but it doesn't dither for previews.

If you want to force the dithering to happen for a preview, you can put a no-op 8-bpc effect at the bottom of the layer stack. I use the Arithmetic effect at its default settings, which do nothing. The mere fact that there is an 8-bpc effect in the layer stack will cause the dithering to occur, though.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Philipp ZakrzewskiRe: CC Radial Blur - Banding even in 32 bpc
by on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:59:55 am

Hi Todd,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. However, I also rendered out a final movie (PNG sequence, millions of colors) and that shows the same kind of banding (lots and lots of little bands, not a smooth gradient at all). Any idea how to fix this? Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved