ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duik IK - scaling and flipping puppets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosa Hughes
Duik IK - scaling and flipping puppets
on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:11:43 am

I've been using Duik (An IK system made for after effects) (link: http://duduf.net/?page_id=151)

It's fantastic, I have rigged up my character using puppet pins, bones, controls and IK. Everything is working great.

However, I want to flip my character so it is facing the other way. It has a master control that everything is linked to, so I changed the Master control's scale to [-100,100].

My character is successfully flipped and looking fine - until i try and move the controls. Whenever I move them, my character distorts in weird ways.

I assume it is because there is complicated maths in the IK expressions that don't work when flipped, was just wondering if it was even possible to fix my controls/flip my character, or if i will have to rebuild my character all over again facing the opposite direction.

My current workaround is flipping the characters precomp - but it doesn't make it intuitive to animate in the main comp. A better solution would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Duik IK - scaling and flipping puppets
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:12:03 pm

Why not just rotate the master control 180 degrees?

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Rosa Hughes
on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:51:49 pm

Ah I was so excited when I read this but no dice. It reacts the same way as if I scale it.

You can see that the arms automatically go wonky and jump away from their controls in the flipped version. When you start to move the controls, it gets even worse.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:52:34 am

Can you just precompose the entire rig and do the rotation on the precomp?

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Rosa Hughes
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:17:26 am

yeah, that's what I'm currently doing, but it makes character interactions not as intuitive to animate.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:21:23 am

Okay, so I've not tried this, but I'm pretty sure it will work. Go ahead and duplicate the rig anyway though so you don't mess anything up fiddling with it.

Try making the controllers for the hands have the exact same anchor point as the master null object. This way, when you rotate the master null, the others will rotate around the same anchor point.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Rosa Hughes
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:47:45 am

I thought this would work but it's still the same :(

I made the control anchor points and positions match, but the arm still freaks out when the master is rotated/scaled to flip.
I'm guessing it's always gonna be something in the specific IK expression that won't let it be flipped. Sigh, I guess I'm gonna have to flip the graphics in photoshop and pin/rig it all over again.

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:58:06 am

Hey Rosa,

The best way is to create a second puppet and parent the controllers together. Then create an effects controller on/off switch that turns the visibility of the two different puppets on and off...

Return to posts index

Rosa Hughes
on Feb 5, 2014 at 1:46:23 am

Hmm, sounds like that would work...but then if I'm creating a second puppet, I'm probably better off just using the new one instead. If I need to flip between the 2 in the same scene, I think I'll use this method, thanks.

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Jul 2, 2014 at 4:13:54 pm

hey Rosa,

did you ever manage to solve this? I'm curretnly animating a brilliantly designed (by Chris Mould) spider and I've rigged and automated one leg, so when the spider moves, the leg takes steps. Now I'd like to duplicate the leg 7 times, 4 of which need flipping.

I'm also stumbling on the duplication. I think I need to read up how to use the rename function

thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Rosa Hughes
on Jul 2, 2014 at 11:47:13 pm

I didn't end up with a proper solution, sorry. The rig I was using (DUIK) had specific maths in the expressions which just freaked out anytime i tried to flip it.

However, I was trying to flip my whole rig and use it (which didn't work). I assume if you want to make opposing legs on the spider, you can just make 2 legs (each one bending opposite ways) and duplicate them 3 times.

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Jul 4, 2014 at 7:56:36 pm

Hi Rosa,

thanks for your response, that's what I thought, but if I find a better way I'll post it.

cheers

Matt

Return to posts index

Hristo Stefanov
on Oct 11, 2014 at 6:18:32 pm
Last Edited By Hristo Stefanov on Oct 11, 2014 at 6:23:20 pm

Hi! Yesterday I installed DUIK and in a half an hour I stumbled upon the same problem.
And I found a really simple solution - no duplicating the whole rig, not at all.

Just expand the properties of your shape layer (it works only with shapes), go to Shape X > Transform: Shape X and change the values there. I even created another Null object with two checkbox expressions, because I needed it to flip my right and left foot.

Under the scale of Transform: Shape X I wrote this code:

if (thisComp.layer("Flips").effect("Left Foot")("Checkbox") == 1) [100,100] else [-100,100]

Flips is the name of the Null object, Left Foot is the name of the Checkbox expression controller. And whenever I check that box in the Null object, it flips the foot. It can be even animated. The same goes for the other foot. :)

EDIT: Better yet, don't create another Null object, but use the DUIK Controller Null object where you can find the remaining controllers for your rig. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]