ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

smooth script withe slider

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kees mannekemansmooth script withe slider
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:38:21 pm

I have some tracking keyframes on a layer that I like to smooth but I would also like to have some control over it. At some places a lot of smoothing and other places none of a litle.
I tried to do this with the script (smooth(1,2) and link a slider to the "1" and the "2". (number 1 and 2 are just random number for example). How ever this doesnt work.
(I am not a genius with scripting but with wiggle it works so why not here)
can anybody help me out?
thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: smooth script withe slider
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:28:47 pm

The 'smooth' Expression method samples a range in time to do its thing. I too find it difficult to control it precisely. I suggest you do ne of the following -
1) apply an Expression Point Control to the layer containing the tracking data. set its value to [0,0]

2) create an Expression link from tracking data to the Point Control

3) Use this Expression as the script -
value+ExpressionPointControl; where Point Control is the Expression. Use the pick-whip so that the correct script is applied by AE

4) Keyframe the Point Control value to achieve your smoothing effect

Alternatively, or in conjunction with the above technique, you can start things off by eyeballing the tracking data's motion path and make manual adjustments to smooth the path.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

kees mannekemanRe: smooth script withe slider
by on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:02:02 pm

Thanks, Roland!
I got it working. Its not like you instructed but it gave me a hint for the right direction.

smooth(width = effect("Point Control")("Point")[0], samples = effect("Point Control")("Point")[1], t = time)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved