ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d scene animation: image lighting problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel persson
3d scene animation: image lighting problems
on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:52:31 pm

Hello CC,

I'm in the process of making an animation film in AE and I am using a lot of 2d images to create 3d scenes. I'm using lighting to create the right mood but my problem is that a lot of the times I get weird edges when lighting. Any way to work around this or fix it?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: 3d scene animation: image lighting problems
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:49:22 am

This can help:

http://aescripts.com/cm_barndoors/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:18:02 pm

Amazing I will try it out right away!

But can you explain to me why this happens? What's the best way to light a scene when doing animation work?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:22:27 pm

It's all about how you set your lights and the shape of your "walls". In your case the back wall is rectangular, with the width longer than the height. The light cone is circular, so if you want the light to fade at the edges you will need to block some of that light to match the proportions of the wall. Barn doors can provide that control for you. If you decrease the angle of the cone of light you can get the same feathered light on the top and bottom, but then your light will not reach as close to the sides. You could use a series of lights to compensate, but that will add to your render times- barn doors is still your best solution. Of course you can build your own version, but for 10 bucks it may not be worth your time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:49:32 pm

So far the best result I got is tweaking several lights and then grading to get the right mood. Barndoors seems to blur out the black only places where it already looks good. Would like to know how other animators work with lighting and fixing the edges of their backgrounds/scene.

Return to posts index

michael zoppo
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:13:56 pm

I don't do too much 3D/lighting in AE but I know it can be tricky to get the lighting right. For some reason AE just seems to have trouble with light falloff where two planes meet. I tried seeing if the raytrace engine would help add some ambient occlusion but it doesn't really.

My advice would be to try and fake it like this guy does http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/quick-tip-easily-fake-an-a...

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:56:49 pm

Cool thanks for the tip. This is how it looks now. Still a little too dark but I'm getting there

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]