ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text integration in live action footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic PlazaText integration in live action footage
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 9:43:55 am

I have slow panning live action footage from the forrest and I would like to integrate text inside the forrest. I would like to make some of the trees closest to the camera stay in front of the text and some of them behind.

What is the fastest and most reliable workflow for that? Maybe you could recommend tutorials on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Text integration in live action footage
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:10:52 pm

Sounds like a straight matte cutting and compositing job, using a camera track to match the move for the text.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text integration in live action footage
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:57:02 pm
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:11:56 pm

Ted has it, camera track and masks. I think you might want to check out Mocha Shapes, mocha could do the tracking and masking for you.

Here's another tutorial that goes into detail about what you are trying to do(technique wise, he creates the text in C4D), 3D Tracking, 3D Titles & Compositing Tutorial

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dominic PlazaRe: Text integration in live action footage
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 7:33:36 am

Mocha Shape did the trick. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Text integration in live action footage
by on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:43:50 pm

Quick note. If you have the selected mocha shape layer on your clipboard there are 2 ways to paste masking data from the bundled mocha AE to After Effects CS6 or CC.

1. Edit>paste will paste the mocha shape plug-in. (mocha shape is included with AE or free from mocha shape will rasterize the roto mask layer and can carry across variable edge feathering from mocha AE.

2. Edit>paste>mocha mask. This will convert the mocha shape layer to an AE mask. In general this option is better for speed and performance. However, the edge feathering does not come across.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved