ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM upgrade not worth it? After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BlutsteinRAM upgrade not worth it? After Effects
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:47:29 am

Hello, first post on this site! I appreciate the community (I have been a reader for some time) and look forward to learning from some of you.

I just upgraded my system from 16 gb of ram to 32 gb. I expected to see at least a 25% speed upgrade in my render times, however my tests have shown no upgrade at all! I have already looked in the preferences and made sure After Effects was using the additional memory, and everything seems to be as it should be. Is it odd to find that an increase in RAM does not actually speed up render times?

After effects is using between 80-90% of my available RAM during these tests, so it is not like the extra ram is just a luxury. It could definitely be utilizing the extra memory, but for some reason is not. A 3 minute video has taken me nearly 75 minutes at 16gb and 32gb. Am i doing something wrong here?

Build: i7 2600k
Radeon 5770
32 gb Ram @1600

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: RAM upgrade not worth it? After Effects
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:37:18 am

With Ae, the reason to get more RAM is generally to allow more use of the CPU with multiprocessing.

If your CPU was already maxing out, then adding more RAM will not necessarily improve performance.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved