ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Glowing outlines flying toward camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory LivengoodGlowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:56:58 am

Hi all,

I'm about to start a music video project and my director has a VFX request. I thought I might shop it around here as I start to noodle on it to see if you folks had any insight.

Basically he'd like to have the outlines of an actor emanating from around them and flying at the camera. The actor will be shot on green, so I can get a decent matte of them most likely. I've attached an example pic he sent me that sort of shows what he's going for.

screenshot2014-01-28at7.50.56pm.png

I've just started playing around with it and was thinking of things like the radio wave effect, but my preliminary experiments weren't very promising.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them!

Cheers,
Cory

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:06:35 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:09:02 am

How does the director feel about chroma key work? It'll make the job go about five times faster, and cost a lot less money.

He does, however, lose a bit of his Creative Muse because he'll be commited to an effects shot. Or you'll be committed to long hours of tedious work... for which, I presume, you'd be able to charge.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory LivengoodRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13:56 am

Luckily it will be shot on a green screen. It's the actually radiating outline effect I'm brainstorming now.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:42:07 am

Pull key. Render black and white matte. Find Edges. Multiply and use that as 3d layers to create effect.
That's one way I can think of.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:07:18 pm

I was thinking you could use the effect Generate > Stroke and place it in 3D to have the move toward the camera(though you would lose resolution) or better, use Trapcode Stroke. Check out this tutorial - Creating Super Tight Junk Mattes--that would give you the masks needed for the strokes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cory LivengoodRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:30:11 pm

Yeah, I was playing with 3d Stroke and some autotraced masks on some old test footage. It seems like a good plan. I was hoping to find a way to generate the waves instead of instance each of them, but this is a good direction for sure. That tutorial looks promising, as well. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:38:22 pm

Cory -

3D Stroke has some pretty sophisticated Repeater controls, which should allow you to do just what you want.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

michael zoppoRe: Glowing outlines flying toward camera
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:17:40 pm

Try exporting your comp to frames, then open those frames up in a professional image editing application like MS Paint and then add the outlines in frame by frame. This is probably the fastest and most efficient way to achieve this effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]