ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects: Element 3D Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew HarmerAfter Effects: Element 3D Question
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:41:19 pm

I hope i can get some help with this question, I am very new to After Effects and Element 3D and I was wondering if anyone can explain (if possible) how to get shadows from the 3D text I have extruded onto the ground of my live action shot.

Just as a test shot I filmed my desk at work and then tracked the camera and set up my points, so far I have created some really nice looking 3D text using elements which looks like it is actually sitting on my desk as the camera moves past.

I am familiar with using cinema 4D to create a plane and 3D text and then to cast shadows onto that plane and to then bring it back into after effects so that the 3D text has some nice shadows on the ground but i cant seem to figure out how you do it within elements.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: After Effects: Element 3D Question
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:28:58 pm

As far as I know, you can't do shadows from Element 3D (this has been a well known issue since its' first release - I think they decided to do this to keep it fast with OpenGL). At any rate, there is, of course a script to add this feature:

And you can name your own price on it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Matthew HarmerRe: After Effects: Element 3D Question
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:25:34 pm

Thank you Joe!

Will give this a go and see what results I can get

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects: Element 3D Question
by on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:16:59 am

Yes, as Joe says, the reason that Element 3D is fast is because of all of the things that it doesn't do, like shadows, refraction, and reflections.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved