ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Add Fluid effect to layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry ButlerAdd Fluid effect to layers
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:50:57 pm

Hello creative world. I've been trying to duplicate an AE project I found on YouTube. There was no project file, but I've managed to duplicate almost the entire project from tutorials around the web. Unfortunately I'm missing one effect, which I can't seem to find any help on. I'm including the URL (hopefully that's not breaking any rules) so that you can see the project:

The part of this I can't seem to complete is the white type of fluid effect around the color parts of the layers. I've tried using an adjustment layer and multitudes of different distort and color effects with no luck. Can anyone think of what I'm not seeing? I'm including an image of my try versus the one I'm trying to re-create. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Add Fluid effect to layers
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:16:58 pm

I would create some random blobby shape and then play with turbulent displace. Duplicate the shape a couple of times, offset it here and there, add an adjustment layer on top of the whole thing and add a blur then a simple matte choker so that the shapes "stick" to each other. That would at least get you your fluid shape. For the amoeba jellyfish texture look, you might try playing with gradients in the shape along with some luma keying and even overlaying a texture over the whole thing as well.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

Larry ButlerRe: Add Fluid effect to layers
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:12:34 am

Jason, thank you for the reply. I've tried so many things, but this appears to be more simplistic with an effect and just can't see it. I tried what you suggested and can get the movement, but the white fluidic space I can't master. You can certainly see an outline with the outer edges. This is a multilayer project using light images. I'll keep trying though. I just refuse to give up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved