ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camcorder/Camera for Green screen/time warp 4:2:2 colorspace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Betz
Camcorder/Camera for Green screen/time warp 4:2:2 colorspace
on Jan 26, 2014 at 7:05:43 pm

Greetings,

Got some great advice from this forum on the purchase of a workstation (ADK), which have turned out wonderfully, and, thus, thought I would throw this question on a camera/camcorder.

I will be working on a project using After Effects for some green screen work and modifying the speed (time) of the footage (e.g., timewarp). The final project will be very short (approximately 3 minutes long) and thus I am not worried about the space that uncompressed footage takes up.

I do not really care for raw footage so much as I want uncompressed footage shooting in 4:2:2 color space. In addition, I want to be able to shoot in at least 60p. I see with CES a few cameras with the ability to shoot uncompressed (Sony’s HDR-CX900), but not sure if the footage is 4:2:2 and these camcorders are not available yet.

Anyway, the one camcorder I've been looking at is Cannon’s XA25, which, as I understand it, has a HD/SD-SDI output for uncompressed 4:2:2 and the camera can shoot at 60p. I was thinking of purchasing an Atmos Ninja recorder for video capture.

I’m trying to keep the cost down on this and the Cannon XA25 has been dropping in price a bit. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Brian

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Camcorder/Camera for Green screen/time warp 4:2:2 colorspace
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:53:13 am

Here's a good review for the Canon XA25:

http://camcorders.reviewed.com/content/canon-xa25-camcorder-review

My opinion (similar to the one of the reviewer above) is that you can get more for the money if you use a cheaper DSLR option. You may even have a Canon DSLR that can be used with Magic Latern (ML) to shoot even RAW. Even older Canon DSLR's can do a great job. Add a moire filter from Mosaic Engineering on a 7D or 5D MkII and you'll get the same smooth video as on a 5D MkIII for half the price. If you want to record to a Ninja device, ML will also take care of cleaning the overlays on the HDMI video out.

ML:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Mosaic Engineering:

http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/7d.html

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:17:12 pm

Thanks Ted this has given me something to research a bit. I've heard of ML, but at one point felt a bit paranoid about running software that was not from Cannon and, thus would void any warranty.

Nevertheless, I will look at this carefully and the review you posted is certainly correct on the issue of lens quality. I actually have quite a few Canon lenses around...unfortunately my Canon camera collection includes the first digital model made and a 35mm. But the T4i and 5 are very reasonably priced.

Thanks again!

Brian

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:38:47 am

ML does not mess with the Canon software- it runs on top of it (except the dual ISO - that re-writes the soft on the sensor, but it's a separate install). So no issues with warranty.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:20:59 am

Thanks again Ted. I have looked into the ML website and it is amazing what this software is capable of doing. I also began eyeing some of the DSLR’s that come out of the box capable of a clean HDMI out. It might just be a bit less of a worry for me to have this feature. Canon seems behind on this as, to my knowledge, the lowest price DSLR capable of clean HDMI out without ML is the 5D Mark III. An impressive camera but at 3 k for the body only it does seem to be a bit out of my price range. I see that some of the lower price Nikons have a clean HDMI out and I was surprised by the low price point (e.g., D7100).

I’m going to be digging down into all that I can find on the option of a DSLR as a camera and Ninja/Ninja2 as a recorder. I think you’ve got me on the right track.

Thanks again.
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Feb 22, 2014 at 8:05:15 pm

Hello all,

So after much research I'm currently looking at the Nikon 5300. It shoots 1080p at 60fps and this is exactly what I was looking for. But as I want the video uncompressed the issue of an external recorder became an issue as I found the Ninja 2 would only do 720p at 60fps. Long story, but I actually could live with this with having the footage at 60fps dropped into a composition that is 1080p. (The 60fps material is only one element that will be in the final project.) Nevertheless, I see that the Odyssey 7 is slated for release at the end of March for around $1,300 and it is advertised to capture 1080p at 60fps. The Nikon 5300 is currently selling for a bit over $1,000 (with a Nikkor 18-140m lens). I haven't researched the lens yet and may decide to upgrade on this. In addition, I will wait until I see some reviews on the Odyssey.

Nevertheless, the cost of all of this is looking within my budget and much thanks to Ted for the DSLR suggestion! If anyone else has any thoughts, please do not hesitate to chime in.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]