ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DaviesAmortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:51:15 pm

A project I am working on currently, relies heavily on the fantastic Amortype plug-in from Mattrunks. As a lot of users know, it runs terribly on CS6 - and after upgrading to CC it now seems ever worse.

Does anyone know of any alternative plug-ins that work as well as this once did, and are as easy to apply/tweak?

Rendering a 5 second clip with only 4 bits of moving text, I have 23 frames rendered in 30 minutes, and that's with only about 7/8 frames of actual Amortype activity. AE estimates remaining time at around 5 hrs for this 5 second sequence.

Which leads me on to my next recurring query... After a fresh Windows install, new GPU and Adobe CC upgrade - I'm not sure everything is set comfortably for rendering.
AE never shows more than 9% RAM being used, I know this is common for GPU/CPU intensive effects - but CPU activity is settled at 12% too.
In Media & Multiprocessing I've followed Adobe's recommendations, based on 16GB RAM - 6GB for other applications, 3GB allocation per CPU (tried with multiprocessing on & off).

i7-2600K
16GB RAM
GTX 780
Win7 64bit

I can't see AE particularly pushing either of these components to any limits. I know I've had this issue before but can't seem to find an explanation or solution.

Maybe it's just the elusive Amortype? I'm so desperate that I'm considering digging out CS5.5 to save me days of rendering.

Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:48:34 pm

In my experience anything that relies on complex expressions degrades CS6 and CC performance, not only AmorType.

I never removed CS5.5 from my system and use it when I need to use AmorType.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:29:49 am

Amortype works faster if your Text Layer is 2D. I may have a fast alternative but it depends on what you use Amortype for AND you will need to set your own out-point keyframes.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:47:38 am

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "I may have a fast alternative but it depends on what you use Amortype for AND you will need to set your own out-point keyframes. "

I'm intrigued.

Any idea what's going one with expressions in CS6 ? Why the execute so much more slowly than CS5.5?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:24:11 am

I have no idea on anything specific for CS6/CC but we do know that there is a bottleneck in the pipeline. With respect to Amortype 2.0, the bottleneck has to do with the script having to look ahead for the outpoint. Otherwise, it performs at an acceptable speed. I should add a caveat that I'm only guessing on this. Dan Ebberts, at the COW's AE Expression Forum should have a better idea.

Cheers
RoRK
AE MoGraph Intensity Workshop - Promo Video

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:48:47 pm

Have a look through this thread ..

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/19223

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:50:29 pm

As far as I'm aware, with the introduction of the global cache feature, effects and expressions that do complex calculations especially where they look ahead in the timeline, cause everything to slow way down. The best workaround for that is to precomp the the layer that's slowing things down and cache it. Beware that caching a large comp will be lost once your cache drive is full and starts throwing away the older cache files so it would be wise to only cache what you need. One thing that helps in that regard is freeze framing a precomp where no animation occurs.

This feature request just occurred to me - what if it were possible to disable the global cache for expressions or a particular layer or something like that? I bet it would be super complicated and impossible to implement, but that would be better than the cumbersome workaround I described.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Chakkravarthy RaghavanRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on May 13, 2014 at 1:09:04 am

Hold on to shift and go to Preferences -> General-> "Check the new option called Secret" -> Secret -> Disable Layer Cache

Now enjoy faster Amortype on your CS6 and CC

Hope that helped! :)

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on May 13, 2014 at 1:12:54 pm

YES!!! You win Amortype!

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Léo SabatéRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Dec 11, 2014 at 4:28:27 pm

This is awesome ! thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Pedro AquinoRe: Amortype Alternatives / Standard CPU-RAM Usage Queries.
by on Nov 10, 2015 at 2:58:48 pm

Wow, nice solution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]